Companies continue to pour resources into getting more information about you and your behavior online. We’ll show you how information can be exposed through URLs, your actions tracked through cookies, and ways to see what data is out there about you. We’ll touch on Virginia’s House Bill 1 (HB1) and the impact of the EU’s General Data Protection Rules (GDPR).
The latter portion of the workshop will focus on tools and patterns of behavior that will help keep more of your information private.
Faculty members interested in making more informed choices about their data privacy
- Brave - Brave fights malware and prevents tracking, keeping your information safe and secure.
- Lightbeam - Lightbeam is a Firefox add-on that enables you to see the first and third party sites you interact with on the Web.
- Signal - Signal messages and calls are always end-to-end encrypted and painstakingly engineered to keep your communication safe.
- Google Location - See if Google knows where you go.
- Do Not Track - Do Not Track is a personalized documentary series about privacy and the web economy. If you share data with us, we’ll show you what the web knows about you.
- Form Autofill Security - How your browser's autofill can expose your information without your knowledge