Community

Data Viz and Dead Fish

3:40 – “I believe that behavior and responsiveness is the essence of the computer as an art medium and what that means is that any time we create art that doesn’t have behavior we’re not living up to the potential of the medium. It’s not native art.” 4:34 – “… what sort of art is possible when both the art and the artist are alive? When the art and the artist are responding to each other and working together to create something beautiful.” 15:00 – “So what you’re seeing here is kind of the interplay between two living and behaving beings. There’s the fish behaving through simulation. There’s me behaving through performance and there’s this wonderful kind of symbiosis with the two of us working together to put on a show. The simulation and the performance are really complementary. So when I was making that little scene with the fish there was always this back and forth between the simulation and the performance. So if there was something I wanted the fish to do but I couldn’t perform it with my hand because it was too complicated, I had to move my hand too fast, there’s too many other things going on with the scene, I take that and put it in the simulation.” 16:02 – “There’s this back and […]

Weekly Web Harvest for 2017-12-24

Weekly Web Harvest for 2017-12-24

Weekly Web Harvest for 2017-12-17

Dynamicland
Every scrap of paper has the capabilities of a full computer,
while remaining a fully-functional scrap of paper.
–this is augmented reality

Education Outrage: In 1995 I posted the Student’s Bill of Rights. What has changed?
3….

Weekly Web Harvest for 2017-12-10

Chuck Grassley blasts Sheldon Whitehouse in Trump-Russia probe tweet – Business Insider I would hope you would tweet a correction so that your followers also know it is false. fogleman/primitive: Reproducing images with geometric primitives. Reproducing images with geometric primitives. Alaska is warming so fast, quality-control algorithms are kicking the data – The Washington Post The temperature in Barrow had been warming so fast this year, the data was automatically flagged as unreal and removed from the climate database. It was done by algorithms that were put in place to ensure that only the best data gets included in NOAA’s reports. They’re handy to keep the data sets clean, but this kind of quality-control algorithm is good only in “average” situations, with no outliers. The situation in Barrow, however, is anything but average. h/t jammurdo in Digital Humanities slack group Trump’s Lies vs. Obama’s – The New York Times We have used the word “lies” again here, as we did in our original piece. If anything, though, the word is unfair to Obama and Bush. When they became aware that they had been saying something untrue, they stopped doing it. Obama didn’t continue to claim that all Americans would be able to keep their existing health insurance under Obamacare, for example, and Bush changed the way he spoke about Iraq’s weapons […]

Contact us

Academic Learning Transformation Lab - ALT Lab
1000 Floyd Ave, Suite 4102 | Richmond, Virginia 23284
altlab@vcu.edu | 804-827-5181

Last updated: September 26, 2017

Virginia Commonwealth University