Community

Bookmarking the Future INSTITUTE FOR CONTEMPORARY ART, VCU

Bookmarking the Future INSTITUTE FOR CONTEMPORARY ART, VCU

In this post, I will be lazily drawing a connection from the Past to the Present using the discovery of Ancient Browser Bookmarks. I don’t know how many of you follow the habit of always importing your old web bookmarks/favorites from browser to browser, year to year, and so on and so on, for seemingly… Read More Bookmarking the Future INSTITUTE FOR CONTEMPORARY ART, VCU

WordPress Plugin Health Dashboard (Early POC)

In trying to get a better handle on how we’re going to manage our plugins in the future, I found the API for the WordPress.org plugins data. Not like they were hiding it but I’d not seen it before.Consider me Columbus– absent the genocide, slavery, and other terrible things. Replacing *slug* in the following URL gives you a pretty robust javascript With that option, I could build a little Google Sheet/Scripts viewer that would look up information based on a list of plugin slugs. I could set conditional formatting to do various things for visual cues . . . I could even build a little mini-algorithm to evaluate different aspects and weight them towards a total plugin score. I’m debating whether it’s worth working into a more sophisticated plugin that will tell me how many sites the plugin is installed on, display that data etc. There are plugins like that out there but they die on large multisite installations.1 I’d also like some way to tie into the vulnerable plugin announcements. Here are the two little functions that look up and write the plugin’s health based on the slugs being written in column A and a header in row 1. 1 I have a functional, if crude, option that paginates through them in a way that doesn’t crash/die.

Analyzing and Visualizing Networks

One of the current projects I’m working on involves building out some analytical tools that sit on top of an application that lets students track attendance at extra curricular events for a living and learning program for the daVinci Center. For most of the visualizations, I used amCharts to build out some nice looking and functional […]

The post Analyzing and Visualizing Networks appeared first on Jeff Everhart.

Javascript for Added Accessibility

Imagine you’ve got a legacy WordPress site built using one of those drag/drop themes. Now complicate it by having a chunk of content created by a non-standard javascript-based slider plugin. Continue to imagine you have a very, very short window of time to bring it up to WCAG2.0 accessibility standards.1 Child themes aren’t a viable option because of the complexity and the tools that built this mess don’t even pretend to allow you to address most of the concerns. Enter our good friend javascript. I can now take our empty section elements and give them aria2 labels as Site Improve demands. One of the slider plugins was also attaching the same ID in two places. The weird one was on the HTML tag at the top of the document. That threw errors and was weird but it was also applied via javascript after the page finished loading so it was harder to get at. Awkward but apparently functional. 1 As interpreted by Site Improve . . . and yes it should have been there already but interpretation of WAVE vs Site Improve has some significant differences. 2 I’m pronouncing this like the opera solos but it’s actually stands for Accessible Rich Internet Applications

Weekly Web Harvest for 2017-09-24

BBC – Future – The deadly germ warfare island abandoned by the Soviets A year later, the corpses of two missing fishermen were found nearby, drifting in their boat. It’s thought that they had caught the plague. Not long afterwards, locals started landing whole nets of dead fish. No one knows why. Then in May 1988, 50,000 saiga antelope which had been grazing on a nearby steppe dropped dead – in the space of an hour. BardBots — Babble Lab BardBots is a project in which students are introduced to key concepts in computational thinking via an unlikely combination: Shakespeare and robots.  We believe that the distance between the humanities, the arts, and computer science is not as wide as it appears. Poetic Computation: Reader There is something poetic about code itself, the way that syntax works, the way that repetitions work, and the way that instruction becomes execution through abstraction. h/t Jon Becker The Schank Academy: Cyber Attack Academy Is the Cyber Attack Academy right for you? The Self Driving Car Whiz Who Fell from Grace | WIRED In September 2015, the multi-millionaire engineer at the heart of the patent and trade secrets lawsuit between Uber and Waymo, Google’s self-driving car company, founded a religious organization called Way of the Future. Its purpose, according to previously unreported state filings, […]

Contact us

Academic Learning Transformation Lab - ALT Lab
1000 Floyd Ave, Suite 4102 | Richmond, Virginia 23284
altlab@vcu.edu | 804-827-5181

Last updated: September 26, 2017

Virginia Commonwealth University